Design your Door in Six Easy Steps
Are you ready to replace your existing garage door? Or are you designing and building your dream garage? Have you been overwhelmed with how to find the right one? We make it easy because what we make is designed for you, your home, and your satisfaction.
With almost 100 years of manufacturing and engineering excellence, our four-generation family business has been a recognized leader and innovator in the garage door industry. Since our humble beginnings in Hillside, NJ, when we started producing doors for The Overhead Door Company, to our state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities today, Fimbel Architectural Door has earned a reputation for quality and design excellence.
Whether your needs are residential or commercial, carriage style or modern design, historic restoration or new application, we can create the perfect garage door experience for you. We will design and build your door using low-maintenance, energy-efficient materials, manufactured in a sustainable way.
When we build, we build for beauty and durability that will last because we care about your satisfaction as well as our environment. From our processes to our products, we reduce, reuse, and recycle everything we can. We run on solar, and we love to help reduce your overall maintenance efforts and costs.
Consider the longevity of the door by inquiring about the maintenance required. We believe a low-maintenance lifestyle is the way to go, so we build for ease and confidence. It is also valuable to understand what happens if a section is damaged and needs to be replaced. Many manufacturers without the details we have often cannot replace a single section requiring the purchase of a new door. With few exceptions, we think that is bogus! If you need a replacement section, we will gladly work with you to make it right (note: our hand applied faux stain may not be that easy as it is custom artistry, so we may need another section to match it).
We are so confident in our products that we offer you a robust warranty regardless of geography or design. You can rest well knowing our family has your back for years to come!
Ready to dig in? Here are six easy steps to help you through the journey to your garage door!
For more information behind these steps, please visit our website, but here is the gist to get your gears turning!
Step 1: What's Behind the Door?
How do you want to use your garage? Like 71% of Americans, will the garage door be the primary entrance to the home? Do you live an active lifestyle (snowmobiles, ATVs, golf carts, boats)? Establishing the lifestyle you want to enjoy will help you determine the garage needs. If it will be a living space or man-cave, designing the door with insulation is key. If it is a workspace, lighting will be important. For car lifts and home gyms, hi-lift track might be needed!
Whatever the relationship is with your garage, choosing the right door can make all the difference!
Step 2: Determine Your Budget
Having a budget helps your sales representative guide recommendations. A few things to consider as you approach the project are:
- Expect to pay more for insulated garage doors, double doors, or custom sizes and designs.
- Higher quality materials and manufacturing processes can influence a budget.
- Low-maintenance materials and processes are engineered to bring convenience to your life by requiring less of you, but these higher grade products may influence the budget.
- Stain and paint options are readily available as an upgrade.
- The Insulated Glass Package for an insulated or heated garage may be needed depending on how you want to use the garage space.
Step 3:Pick Your Garage Door Material (FOR RESIDENTIAL APPLICATIONS)
Your material will impact budget, appearance/style options, longevity, durability and annual maintenance.
- Vinyl - BEST: Offers beauty, durability, and design flexibility with the look of painted wood but is weather-resistant, so it will not rot, split, or crack like wood. It is virtually maintenance-free and comes naturally white.
- Wood Composite - BETTER: Has the look and design flexibility of wood or vinyl, but unlike wood it does not require maintenance. Requires initial finishing but can be painted or faux stained regardless of exposure to head and the environment. It will not rot, split, crack, or rust.
- Vinyl-Coated Steel - BETTER: Smooth, natural white finish offers exceptional beauty and options for paint or faux stain finishing. Budget-friendly with many of the benefits of vinyl and steel combined. Weather resistant, durable, dent-resistant, will not rot, split, crack, or rust.
- Wood - GOOD: Beautiful when new but requires ongoing maintenance to remain in good condition and to avoid rotting, splitting, or cracking. Can be painted or stained and provides many design options. Wood doors are the original overhead door.
- Stamped Steel - GOOD: A lower-cost alternative but does not have the curb appeal of other options. Limited in style options. Little to no maintenance required but is prone to corrosion, rust, and denting, leading to a shorter life-cycle. Can be finished.
We choose Versatex as our Vinyl (unfinished doors in the Estate Collection), Vinyl Coated Steel (for our American Legends Series), and Tricoya as our Wood Composite (finished doors in all series) based on the tried and true benefits of each product. These materials offer ease and confidence to our processes and your experience.
Step 4: Overcome Environmental Considerations
It is clear that Mother Nature is on a rampage, and we aim to keep her out of your garage and home; however, we also want to protect and preserve her. Purchasing a Fimbel Door will bring you that confidence. From our partnership with One Tree Planted to our processes to our products, we reduce, reuse, renourish, and recycle everything we can, but our doors are engineered to withstand what life and the environment throw at them. Choosing the right material and the right construction is key to a door that can endure the unknown of our environmental conditions.
Step 5: Choose Your Design and Options
Every Fimbel door we make is uniquely crafted for you. Our doors come in a range of styles and price points with capabilities for customizations to satisfy your design desires. Using multiple design patents with materials and processes engineered for beauty and durability, we offer you more. Residential or Commercial. Carriage Style to Modern Design. Historic Restoration or New Build. Our doors satisfy the need.
Using your unique design perspective, ambition, and talent, we offer you the opportunity to complete your vision with the quality and capabilities needed to truly round out your final project. Our doors allow you to capture architectural features used in original period designs or contemporary trends. For example, your windows can be nearly any configuration, any design, and nearly any location to tie features through the home to the garage door! You can accommodate any opening by customizing in 1" height and width increments or matching an uneven floor with a scribed bottom. The face of the door is fully customizable whether it's adding logos and routed designs to geometric shapes and windows to waves or anchors - you name it!
Step 6: Door Finishing Options
As you dream of your door coming to life, don't forget to consider your options. We are very proud of our factory finish and offer it in both standard and custom paint options but also in an array of hand-applied faux stains. The result is the finest finish in the industry and brings a furniture-like finish to exterior architecture. With a strong warranty and compassion for the earth, our paint is an excellent addition to your garage door.
Using heat-reflective high-performance paint, all Factory Finished products will be delivered with a clean finish to last! While most of our products do not require finishing and may remain natural white, adding color to your project can add the wow-factor that you are after! Our vast and ever-expanding color palette includes blacks, charcoals and dark greens as well as faux stains to truly replicate the look of wood without the maintenance. With solutions for replacement of damaged sections to navigating tough exposures to Do-It-Yourself options, our finish will brighten up your home and increase durability. To read more about it, enjoy this blog.
Read more about our finishing options
In the world of Fimbel, we do not believe in many limitations. We believe that if you can dream it, we can make it. What makes us different is that we build doors that last, reduce impact on the earth, and require very low maintenance and increased durability allowing you peace of mind. We have the best warranty on the market because we stand behind the product we make. We look forward to seeing your creativity and being able to give you a More in a Garage.
Find a Dealer and enjoy!